Thursday 1 November 2012

Day 92 - Pondicherry to Madurai, India


Day 92 – Hers

It’s a bit of a shame that all we saw of Pondicherry yesterday was one windswept street in the French colonial quarter, a few streets of shops shuttered against the cyclone and flooded from the heavy rain and the inside of our ‘Heritage’ hotel – for ‘Heritage’, read old, leaky and lacking any amenities..... We had been told that it was a lovely small city – and it was a bit disappointing.  The cyclone actually hit landfall back in Mallapuram where we had been yesterday morning – so we even missed out on that experience. Never mind – I had hoped that we might at least drive through a bit more of the town on the way to the train station this morning – but after breakfast we just loaded up the bus and drove straight out of town to Villapuram where we caught the train to Madurai. At least it wasn’t raining!

We had for some reason been booked in sleeper carriages – and the Indian couple in our carriage decided to stretch out and sleep on the bottom bunks.  Rob and TJ, who had been given top bunks were okay – they just climbed up. Lisle and I had a bit of a problem – we were assigned middle bunks: the ones that are folded up for daylight travel. Lisle moved over to the aisle bunks with Kylie and Sam, which left me having to squash myself into an uncomfortable corner in between a stretched out Indian woman and a metal ladder.  I couldn’t see out the window – so I can’t comment on the scenery – but I think it was mainly rice paddies, sugar cane and groves of coconut palms.  I just read my book, occasionally trying to shift position enough that my bum didn’t go numb.

After 5 hours, I asked Rob to trade with me and I climbed up to the top bunk where I could at least stretch out a bit.  Apparently our guide had bought a bottle of rum that he passed around the drinkers in the group down at the other end of the train – they became quite merry and I think one girl promised herself in marriage to one of the stewards on the train.... whatever.

We were met by a velvet lined (and mosquito infested) tour bus at Madrai station and delivered to our hotel which is on the outskirts – but has all the amenities our last two hotels were lacking: clean sheets and bathrooms and wifi being the most important.  I straight away sat in the lobby making sure all my family in NY made it through Hurricane Sandy and notifying them that we survived Cyclone Nilam.  Perhaps we should all communicate via The Weather Channel.......

 
Day 92 – His.


After settling in to the hotel we were supposed to get together for dinner. To be honest we are a bit tired of our group and wanted to go it alone. Three others had similar feelings so we went off to town to eat. (We later found out the rest of the group seems to consider the five of us as snobs – fair enough – I think they are drunks and children.)

Dinner was on a rooftop hotel, so the setting was good, the food pleasant and the service appalling. It took ages to get our food and we only got served after we had complained to the manager. Ah well, sometimes bad things happen to nice people! We got back to the hotel via tuk tuks and a hair raising dash through the traffic. The tuk tuk drivers really bring meaning to the phrase – bat out of hell. All in all a bit of a tiresome day but then it was a travel day and they are never the best.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.